Making College Count

« Back to Home

How Military Personnel Can Claim Tuition Assistance And Other Educational Assistance

Posted on

The long-standing GI bill for military personnel has been a stalwart policy for educational assistance for military personnel for years. The Bill went further following the 9/11 terrorist attacks to add substantial benefits for military personnel. These benefits now include a provision that permits you to share your benefits with your family members. This is an extraordinary and valuable upgrading of educational benefits that you and your family should take advantage of.

How The GI Bill Now Works

If you, as a military person, have not used your benefits or perhaps you've only used a small portion of this benefit, the remaining benefit balance can be transferred to your spouse and other immediate family members. So if you've used up a total of 12 months of your available benefits, you still have a substantial amount of 24 months' benefits left over that your family can take advantage of to further their education. They can do so if you transfer the benefits to them.

Qualifications For Transferable Benefits

Your claim of benefits are based on the understanding that you served in the military for a minimum of six years. Now if you transfer these benefits under the transferable domain rule, then you'll be required to serve an additional term of four more years as an active member in the military.

Generous Spousal Education

There is a generous educational program for spouses of veterans. You are eligible to claim training and education benefits from the Dependents Education Assistance Program. This program offers you 45 months of benefits. You have the choice of pursuing education that includes certificate programs, apprenticeships, degrees and training while on-the-job. If you are a surviving spouse, you are also eligible to take advantage of the Dependents Education Assistance Program. Check out the website of this program and gather more information about how you can register for it. Following your training, you can use benefits still available for pursuing correspondence courses.

State Educational Education Programs

Quite a number of states offer special education programs that benefit military personnel, veterans and your family members. You can claim in-state tuition rates based on your state residency rules. Tuition assistance, grants, tuition waivers, scholarships and even reduced fees are available based on the state you live in. Make use of these advantages.

Federal Student Aid Programs

Do not overlook the fact that there are Federal Student Aid programs that will assist you with costs for tuition, books, fees and even living expenses while you pursue your education by attending school. The school you attend claims a share of the funds allotted you, and the rest of the loan or a grant belongs to you. So you have quite a number of educational programs to choose from. Just roll up your sleeves and see which programs you can best benefit from, and fill out the application forms.